Emergency stretchers are used inside as well as outside medical settings. These are used to carry people during any sort of an emergency situation. It is said that trauma is the main cause of death in children and young adults and is completely preventable. The time spent between the trauma and the arrival at the hospital when reduced can actually help save precious lives. Patients are usually brought in on emergency stretchers. It’s considered a one of the most important pieces of equipment in medicine.
Buying new stretchers can be quite expensive. This is because with medical technology evolving at a steady rate, it’s no wonder that regular stretchers these days are equipped with state of the art features. These in actual help the medical staff assist the patient with ease and can increase their chances of saving lives.
When buying an emergency stretcher it should be kept in mind that only the one with the highest quality are worth investing in. Compromising on the quality of the stretcher can be problematic in the long run.
The following are a few things which should be kept in mind when buying an emergency stretcher:
- An emergency stretcher should be light weight yet durable at the same time. Since the stretcher should help assist the medical staff to perform their work in the best possible manner, durability counts a great deal. The person who is put on the stretcher needs to be positioned as safely as possible to prevent further complication. The bands on the stretcher should be strong yet easy to operate. In an emergency there is an emphasis on all equipment being easy to use and maneuver, make sure that you invest in a good quality stretcher only.
- It should be kept in mind that the stretcher needs to be put into the ambulance as well. Therefore it’s got to be made from a high strength material.
- The bed should be made of comfortable material so that the patient doesn’t feel any sort of discomfort while lying on the stretcher.
- The stretcher should also be convenient to use. Sometimes a person has to singlehandedly take care of putting the stretcher into the ambulance. Self-folding stretchers help make things easier for hospital staff.
- The legs under the stretcher should be foldable so that when these are put inside a vehicle there shouldn’t be any sort of difficulty.
- When buying a stretcher make sure that it’s compatible with the size of the ambulance. Another thing which needs to be taken into account are the railings attached to the stretcher. These need to be pretty durable, plus easy to operate. The railings should be easy to move up and down whenever required. This mean that the railings need to have a sturdy ergonomic design.
- Also the head tilt, foot tilt and the sitting position allowed by the stretcher is to be given attention as well.
There is a difference between emergency trolleys and stretchers. Keeping the above mentioned things in mind would help make the purchase of stretchers much easier.